Saw an Omnigrid caddy that one of the students had at the last workshop I attended and I really liked it. It will come as no surprise to any of you that I tend to have my tools all around me when I’m working and can’t find my scissors when I need them.
When I got home I decided I needed to make myself one. Looked on the internet to find a pattern and found this one that went over a 5×7 acrylic picture frame. I wanted a bigger one than that, so went to libraryland suppliers and found what I wanted. It didn’t take long to make and I like the looks of it. So far, it is working quite well at home, and I’m very happy with how it turned out.
Thought this pincushion was cute, so I made one for myself. Had to give her a nose job because her first nose was about the size of the pinhead you see there for the eye.
I think I’m going to end up with a hen collection…
Took a workshop this past Wednesday with Peggy Martin on strip paper piecing. It was my first foray into paper piecing and it was quite fun. She is a great instructor and I learned a lot. The variety of colors and patterns chosen by my classmates was amazing, and they all ranged from pretty good to wonderful. (The block isn’t really crooked — I just had a hard time holding the camera parallel to the block.)
Surprisingly, I’m not planning on making a quilt using paper piecing — yet. Still need to finish a bunch of stuff first. Well, at least one stuff.
It is quilted and ready for binding. My first attempt at quilting anything this large, and also my first attempt at free motion quilting. It progressed from the drunken monkey quilting in the middle to fairly presentable quilting on the borders.
I got obsessed with the yo-yo mostly because my friends kid me about liking them. So I made a couple.
These are about 1 inch in diameter. They are easy as pie to make, and they are just too darn cute.
How it began.
Then a friend pointed out a pattern.
It looked really fun. Not quite as old fashioned and primitive as quilts that were made entirely from yo-yos. It could even be described as a bit elegant.
So I started making yo yo’s. Got about 200 of them done, then looked at the pattern
They were too small.
Not just a little bit too small, like 40 percent too small. And through the mathematical miracle of calculating an area, I realized that what would take 4 yo yos in the correct size would take 9 in the smaller size. So, the 900 of the little suckers that the pattern required would be over 2,000 in the new size.
quite a difference.
So, the solution I came up with: I’m going to use the smaller ones for the edging, and make the larger ones for the body of the quilt. Yay!
Here’s the current container of yo-yos. They make me feel very happy.
a sample of the cuties.
All of the columns in the kaleidoscope are now complete. Tomorrow, when the light is better for working on black fabric, I will trim up the columns and start sewing up the columns.
The design wall as seen from a galloping horse
I should take a picture of the fabric this was before it was cut up and put back together.